SPRINGFIELD, Ohio – The sixth-ranked Columbus State Cougars defeated DII Clark State (22-25, 25-10, 25-16, 25-17) to open its regular season Saturday morning.
Sophomore Mason Steele led the Cougars with twelve kills while freshman Esther Holtzclaw smacked down seven successful attacks. Freshman Burgin Bachman added five kills on .714 hitting as well as a team-high seven total blocks. Akea Hunter contributed a trio of kills on .333 hitting, six digs, and five total blocks in her collegiate debut.
Inside the Game
- Non-Conference (B&S is a probationary member of the conference) game
- Final Score: Columbus State 3, Clark State 1
- Record: Columbus State 1-0 overall, 1-0 OCCAC, Clark State 0-2 overall, 0-1 OCCAC
- This is the fifth consecutive win over Clark State in three years.
- Four players added four total blocks (Steele, Jenkins, Holtzclaw, and Tiziana Russell).
- The team recorded 71 digs and 28 total blocks to open the season.
- Jenkins' 32 assists is a career-high for the setter – this season the Cougars are primarily running a 5-1 offense.
The Cougars host Sinclair Community College on Wed, Aug. 28 for their home opener. First serve is 6:00 p.m.